Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS / Re: Spotlight 1.4
« Last post by Enkeli on November 08, 2020, 04:04:27 PM »
deadline is when?
Fringeworthy / Re: Flatpack construction for the Fringepaths
« Last post by Enkeli on November 08, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
they also make great tiny homes on zero plots where the housing in place isn't quite large enough to support the number of people on the plot. Though we also just used them as barns and garages as well.
Fringeworthy / Flatpack construction for the Fringepaths
« Last post by Kedamono on November 08, 2020, 01:47:35 PM »
We all imagine massive constructions on the Fringepaths made the various Fringe cultures. But for the most part, everything has to fit through a 25' or 7.6m portal. That means Cargo Container buildings.

Need power, then use a Power Cube:

Need a place to sleep:

Food Preparation? We got ya covered:

Basically, everything you'd need for a base station on a pokiwol or world can be containerized.
NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS / Spotlight 1.4
« Last post by wasahbe on November 07, 2020, 05:22:31 AM »
Just reminding people to get their submissions for the Winter issue of Spotlight in as soon as possible.  We don't want to run a month late again this issue.

The theme is space.  So spotlight on FTL:2448, Incursion and EZ Space.  And crossovers between any of the three and any other Tri Tac property.
Incursion I, II, and III / Re: Incursion and the Supernatural
« Last post by FuzzySadist on October 31, 2020, 01:58:10 AM »

I'm sensing a new book ... Incursions IV: A Bureau 13 setting LOL

William

That's exactly what I said when John and I discussed it in Messenger.

LOL ... Great minds think alike
« Last post by wasahbe on October 31, 2020, 01:36:07 AM »

William

That's exactly what I said when John and I discussed it in Messenger.
Incursion I, II, and III / Re: Humanoids: One Big Happy Family?
« Last post by wasahbe on October 31, 2020, 01:29:44 AM »
If the Ashani were seeding G type stars, that still leaves K and M types.  Cooler, with smaller Goldilocks zones, but singleton planets circling red dwarfs are actually perfect life nurseries once life-precursors are seeded by carbonaceous comets, or arise around geo-thermal vents. So the Ashani calling dibs on all the G stars doesn't mean they swept the field.

P.S.  I was the interim Astrophysics Librarian for Princeton University. It was a long time ago, but I will try to keep up. 

I would like to keep things simple in the base books. Pare down to essential D&D-type core "classes" and races, then use splat books to address more exotic options.  Use the same ruleset for everything and find a way to headcanon a crossover later. 
Incursion I, II, and III / Re: Getting Back to Earth
« Last post by FuzzySadist on October 30, 2020, 11:10:48 PM »
So, I've have had many a "discussion" on this topic with various folks. We all disagree on one thing: Finding a Nav Cube with a destination for the Sol System.

Most folks think that there is one. I totally disagree.

Why? Because the Earth was a restricted Anshani world, a Nursery World. Why would a Space Tugboat, AKA the Ardanna Nuu, have a cube for that world? It wouldn't. But, it would have a cube for a Anshani administrative world, one that watched over many Nursery Worlds. Now, since stars move, the admin world would have a shifting area of responsibility, especially since the Anshani, a species over 8 billion years old, had more than enough patience to deal with the shifting stars as they travelled around the galaxy.

I haven't thought of it this way, but I like it.

So, the admin world would be about 20-50 LY from the Sol System. That also means that there probably many other Nursery Worlds near Earth as well. There are close to a thousand stars within 50 light years of Sol, enough that it would take a lifetime to find Sol and Earth. Even if you left it to just the type G stars that's 63 different stars to check out to see if they are a match. And using the constellations won't help much. At 50 LY, they would be unrecognizable. 

It would be the height of irony, if cube #1 was the one to get them home. It's the one that's sitting in the Nav controller as they were traveling. Which world? The first one, the Frozen planet with High Tech buildings. It's been a hundred thousand years since the Anshani threw up their hands and ascended/left the universe/whatever. It's amazing that it's still mostly intact. The fact that Dakkel Shumeh didn't tell them is that he's a bit of a schmuck. If they can hunt him down after leaving him somewhere, he might relent and let them know basically what direction Sol is from the Frozen planet.

Thoughts?

The only big issue I have is this... right now, as a GM, I have to generate all these destination points for the cubes.  With this new information in mind, I have to generate all the nearby systems for each face of each nav cube.  Its the only way the players could be sure to check everything.

For that matter.... what if it the guardian only protected the planet itself.

So the Nav Cube goes to Europa, to a water refuel station.  And the pirates would just fly across system for slaves.

William
Incursion I, II, and III / Re: Humanoids: One Big Happy Family?
« Last post by FuzzySadist on October 30, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
There are 5 different Humanoid species listed in the book. But are they different species or all related species?

We know that the Anshani protected Earth from outside interference via the Guardian. But, why?

My pet theory is that the Anshani were trying to create a species that could take their place and unite the Three Galaxies in peace and friendship. Thus all these related species across the galaxy. The Galactics, the Manaki, the Muzz, the Kuro, the Blaxx, the Dymoo, and the Teb, are found on many worlds in many variations. They are all probably creations by the Anshani, and there are probably countless more of them, as well as "naturally" evolved species.

And with each, the Anshani probably took a hands on approach to make sure a viable sentient species evolved. The fact that all Humanoid species are probably cross-fertile is a bonus from their point of view. Don't think so? Look at the illustrations of various Humanoids, they look human. Not vaguely human, or human in a dim light, they look like someone that would live next door. Galactics are the biggest bunch of the Humanoid species, and probably span a good portion of the galaxy. Why?

I've always used a "The Anshani seeded the galaxy" approach.  It only makes sense.  Why else could I pop in a cube and find a teb planet 1000 light years from any other teb planet.

The Consto were fighting an interstellar war with the Opnor. Both Humanoids. With planets with the population in the Billions. And unless you have a forced breeding program, it takes time to get into the billions. Like tens of thousands of years. (Sure, they could have creche babies, but you still got to raise them and feed them...) The Constopnor Collective is only 1,200 years old, and they have Billions of people, perhaps verging on Hundreds of Billion.

As for interbreeding with other Humanoids, we were still interbreeding with Neanderthals up to about 41,000 years ago, and that's after 200,000 years of divergent evolution. Yeah, you and a Constopnor can have babies.

I've always made it like an 80% chance of compatibility, due to genetic drift and mutations... but yeah, I agree for the most part with this one.

It also puts another nail in the coffin for their being any FTL:2448 alien species to be about. For stars of roughly the same age as Sol, +/- half a billion years, the Anshani seeded them with their experiments and then put Guardians in place to keep them safe. Any type G stars probably got seeded.

Here I disagree.  I know that Richard didn't want to mix the two (FTL/INC), but I LIKE having tons of options. 

I think instead I'd do it this way.  All G-Stars might have gotten seeded, but if a planet already had a race developing, I doubt that the Anshani would wipe them out and replace them with their seeds.  So I'd put the FTL2448 races there (retcon'd without the connection to earth which would make no sense).  Between FTL2448 and Lost Races, that adds a BUNCH of smaller empires and races.  They might even still have guardians.  After all, protecting life is protecting life.

Just my opinion.  I'm going to do it this way in my campaign regardless, but I think you should consider it making it official.  People always want MORE content, not less.  Why limit it?  Rather, whats the BENEFIT to limiting it?  I don't see one.  I know its how Richard wanted it... but we should be looking to the future, not stuck to one concept.

(Note about the Guardians. Richard had them destroy any nosy ships, which flies in the face that the Anshani were Pacifists. My retcon is that the Guardian will stun the crew, grab the ship in a tractor beam and zip it light years away in a random direction. It probably uses the HyperFTL drive to take them 10's of light years away, then returns. Which is how the slavers managed to grab folks. They'd send in a sacrificial ship in first, let it get caught, while the second ship, mere hours behind it, arrives and descends down to the planet for a raid. Sometimes they get over a day to do the raid, others they barely break atmosphere before the Guardian returns.)

Thoughts?

I like this too, but I think I'd pop them further away... its the same flight time regardless.  But it does open some questions:

1) Do all ships get sent to the same place?  Is there a derelict space graveyard where 100's of ships have been left over time?
2) Since the HFTL time is a constant random... no matter the distance... 10's of light years doesnt seem required unless they Anshani assumed it was a local star faring race and wanted them to be able to limp home.
3) Alternatively, what if the ship was always sent to the Administration center.... So that the Anshani (no longer there, but assumed) would be able to talk to the invading race and 'chastise' them.

William
« Last post by FuzzySadist on October 30, 2020, 10:51:31 PM »
So, Headcannon Time: The reason no one has been able to reproduce Anshani technology is that the Anshani did the thing most folks tell you not to do: Mix magic with technology. The White Boxes can't be reproduced because there's spells on them. The HFTL and the InterGalactic version of it? Magic and Technology.

Why were the Anshani the only ones to figure it out? Well, they weren't. Because they are big "P" pacifists, they didn't do the one thing every other species did when they tried to mix magic and tech: Make Weapons with it. Every other culture ended up smoking ruins because their first impulse was to make a BFG that shot Balrogs...

I love this concept and have instantly added it the campaign I'm running right now.  Personally, I think it would be ideal to add it to the core rulebook the GM sections.

There are other implications about this. The Fae. The Land of the Fae is another radically different universe that intersects the Bureau's through various fairy rings, magic mirrors, portals, and the like. Elves are everywhere... but how they appear depends on the species and culture of each world. A Teb Elf would look nothing like the ones that bedevil Earth, but they could be the exact same person, just shifting their appearance for the different species.

And that means you could use the Land of the Fae as a way to get back to Earth, right?

Ummmmmm...

The Land of the Fae does not operate by any rules that humans or other species can discern. Time is optional in the land, as is distance, substance, and other features. Use the Land to go home could result in you returning thousands of years later... or earlier. The trip could take a lifetime, or a minute through the Land. And you may not be able to leave if you are incautious and partake of any meal or drink offered by the residents.

And that's assuming Oberon or someone just like them decides it's time for the Hunt and look... prey.

I like this too.  I mean, to most people the 'Fae' would just be another alien race, so why would anyone suspect them of harnessing this ancient version of physics "Magic".  I think it needs more fleshing out, but as a base idea its on point.

This of course presents an opportunity for a GM and willing players. WILLING PLAYERS. A Bureau team is sent out in a Bureau designed research sub to investigate that North Atlantic anomaly... only to get blipped across the galaxy to the shipyard where the sub is turned into a spaceship. "Oh woe is me!" they wail. "Oh wait, I have a Bureau Cell Phone. It always gets bars!" Phoning home is easy with Bureau technology... that mixes magic with tech... heyyyy....!

Thoughts?

William
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10