Star System Generation using Fate dice

• 2 replies

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Star System Generation using Fate dice
« on: June 07, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
This was a project I worked on for a Fate core game, Diaspora. I made it fairly generic and it's still a work in progress, but it gets you in the ball park for a star system:

System Generation Tables

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
Re: Star System Generation using Fate dice
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 02:57:33 AM »
I've never really played a FATE based RPG, but I did buy like 8 FATE dice a couple years back.  I used them once during a super hero adventure where the players entered an alternate dimension and the physics and such changed.  Instead of rolling their usual D6 dice they had to use the FATE ones and every plus was a success and a minus a failure.  Rolling 4 dice instead of 2 dice was no guarantee of a better result, and it drove them a bit crazy. 

Is there a probability result that makes using FATE dice for a star system better then rolling on some D100 charts?  Or you just wanted to have some fun with FATE dice?

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Re: Star System Generation using Fate dice
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:15:05 PM »
Well, it works with a bell curve, which is more realistic than the scattershot you get with a d100. Also, each chunk gives you 15 choices and most d100 tables for star generation give you about 10 on average. So more variety. Also, the occurrence of types is based on observed spectral star types.