Tri Tac Games Podcast: Episode 433: Fringeworthy in Mario World, Part 1

• 9 replies

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
This week, we start a new series of Fringeworthy in a video game universe!

This time, it's the 800lb... Plumber! That's right, itsa Mario!

We delve into the world of Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom, and what to expect when you arrive in Bowsers Castle...

Download Link: http://tritacsystems.podbean.com/e/episode-433-fringeworthy-in-mario-world-part-1-1527894679/

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
I'll suggest you guys talk about Fringeworthy in the world of videogame, Horizon Zero Dawn.  Really cool world with lots of robotic animals and secrets about "How did this all come about?" to discover. 

ArmySGT

It's time to talk about the roots. Go into Fringeworthy that is Fringeworthy.

The Chileans, Keegak, and Mellor are two dimensional xardboard targets. Give them real motives, real purpose, and real methods. Let them be more than  vapid mooks.

Offline BigJackBrass

• Charlatan, Humbug and Imitation Humourist.
It's time to talk about the roots. Go into Fringeworthy that is Fringeworthy.

I heartily endorse this sentiment. Pretty much the only episodes I find myself skipping are the 'in the world of' ones. That's just me of course, but I'd love to hear more about the actual Tri Tac material.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’
- Samuel Johnson

Enkeli

I know that the guys are doing the different in the world of episodes to get more people interested in the potential of Fringeworthy as a game to play. Googling their favorite game and seeing a podcast about how to adapt it to FW may spark their interest in at least checking out what FW is and listen to a podcast about it.

I also agree that getting back to basics wouldn't hurt as well.

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
And we have two upcoming topics that are pure Fringeworthy, so I'll shuffle one into the next slot after we're done with Mario.

Enkeli

That would be terrific :) Thank you.

Offline BigJackBrass

• Charlatan, Humbug and Imitation Humourist.
Sounds excellent. I certainly don't object to such topics being covered, which would be ludicrous, but do find that personally I get less from them than the more traditionally-focussed shows.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’
- Samuel Johnson

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
Another less traditional place to drop a portal would be the videogame, No Man's Sky.  It may in fact be a simulated universe, inhabited by three distinct alien races (counting the robotic Korvax as an alien race of course) and a handful of Travelers, who seem to be strangers themselves to the NMS universe.  Add in the omnipresent Sentinel drones guarding every planet and its resources to one degree or another (various levels of hostility in other words) and a mysterious entity called the Atlas. 

The lore of this game is still evolving, but an RPG version would be interesting. 

GreyVested

I was thinking to respond once all the portions had been out, but I figured I'd toss in my two cents and say I've enjoyed listening to this so far.

I'll admit, when I saw the title mention trying to do something with Mario it had me wondering what steps would be taken with regards to having the franchise interact with a more traditional RPG or property in general that would have more concern for narrative, continuity, consistency, especially by constract Mario is one of the more notoriously "game-y" sort of series, whose consistancy of inter-game narrative is unconcerned with any but the most general aspects of lore. The individual games may be self-consistant, but there's certainly lots of broad strokes, and the idea of having that reperesented by a world with shifting geography every time you go through the portal feels like an interesting approach.

Because of this loose appraoch, it has me looking forward to seeing how other similarly aspects of "videogame logic" will be approached, like power-ups, lifes, saves, etc, or seeing if some might be foregone entirely.