Incursion and the Supernatural

• 5 replies

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Incursion and the Supernatural
« on: October 28, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
Now before you complain, Richard confirmed this. Incursion is in the Bureau 13 universe. One piece of evidence is that one of the Focus Characters, Joanna Barnes was involved with the focus character from B13, to quote: "After ditching her boyfriend, a crazy Science Fiction writer who thought he worked for some secret governmental agency..." that is, Robert Harrison.

That means the supernatural is definitely a component to this universe. Now, unless your PCs are former agents for the Bureau or other similar Earth agencies, they probably won't notice the weirdness and attribute it to the place being an Alien world. But it does have implications.

So, Headcannon Time: The reason no one has been able to reproduce Anshani technology is that the Anshani did the thing most folks tell you not to do: Mix magic with technology. The White Boxes can't be reproduced because there's spells on them. The HFTL and the InterGalactic version of it? Magic and Technology.

Why were the Anshani the only ones to figure it out? Well, they weren't. Because they are big "P" pacifists, they didn't do the one thing every other species did when they tried to mix magic and tech: Make Weapons with it. Every other culture ended up smoking ruins because their first impulse was to make a BFG that shot Balrogs...

There are other implications about this. The Fae. The Land of the Fae is another radically different universe that intersects the Bureau's through various fairy rings, magic mirrors, portals, and the like. Elves are everywhere... but how they appear depends on the species and culture of each world. A Teb Elf would look nothing like the ones that bedevil Earth, but they could be the exact same person, just shifting their appearance for the different species.

And that means you could use the Land of the Fae as a way to get back to Earth, right?

Ummmmmm...

The Land of the Fae does not operate by any rules that humans or other species can discern. Time is optional in the land, as is distance, substance, and other features. Use the Land to go home could result in you returning thousands of years later... or earlier. The trip could take a lifetime, or a minute through the Land. And you may not be able to leave if you are incautious and partake of any meal or drink offered by the residents.

And that's assuming Oberon or someone just like them decides it's time for the Hunt and look... prey.

This of course presents an opportunity for a GM and willing players. WILLING PLAYERS. A Bureau team is sent out in a Bureau designed research sub to investigate that North Atlantic anomaly... only to get blipped across the galaxy to the shipyard where the sub is turned into a spaceship. "Oh woe is me!" they wail. "Oh wait, I have a Bureau Cell Phone. It always gets bars!" Phoning home is easy with Bureau technology... that mixes magic with tech... heyyyy....!

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:26:09 PM by Kedamono »

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
Re: Incursion and the Supernatural
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the thought-provoking posts!  How cool!
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 02:24:15 AM »
If you can avoid the bait-and-switch feeling with the players, sure.  Like starting a fantasy campaign and then the players find out they are living on a ringworld where civilization fell ages ago.  Or a fantasy world where it turns out everyone was just doing cosplay with really advanced tech and no one wanted to be the first to break character.

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 10:51:31 PM »
So, Headcannon Time: The reason no one has been able to reproduce Anshani technology is that the Anshani did the thing most folks tell you not to do: Mix magic with technology. The White Boxes can't be reproduced because there's spells on them. The HFTL and the InterGalactic version of it? Magic and Technology.

Why were the Anshani the only ones to figure it out? Well, they weren't. Because they are big "P" pacifists, they didn't do the one thing every other species did when they tried to mix magic and tech: Make Weapons with it. Every other culture ended up smoking ruins because their first impulse was to make a BFG that shot Balrogs...

I love this concept and have instantly added it the campaign I'm running right now.  Personally, I think it would be ideal to add it to the core rulebook the GM sections.

There are other implications about this. The Fae. The Land of the Fae is another radically different universe that intersects the Bureau's through various fairy rings, magic mirrors, portals, and the like. Elves are everywhere... but how they appear depends on the species and culture of each world. A Teb Elf would look nothing like the ones that bedevil Earth, but they could be the exact same person, just shifting their appearance for the different species.

And that means you could use the Land of the Fae as a way to get back to Earth, right?

Ummmmmm...

The Land of the Fae does not operate by any rules that humans or other species can discern. Time is optional in the land, as is distance, substance, and other features. Use the Land to go home could result in you returning thousands of years later... or earlier. The trip could take a lifetime, or a minute through the Land. And you may not be able to leave if you are incautious and partake of any meal or drink offered by the residents.

And that's assuming Oberon or someone just like them decides it's time for the Hunt and look... prey.

I like this too.  I mean, to most people the 'Fae' would just be another alien race, so why would anyone suspect them of harnessing this ancient version of physics "Magic".  I think it needs more fleshing out, but as a base idea its on point.

This of course presents an opportunity for a GM and willing players. WILLING PLAYERS. A Bureau team is sent out in a Bureau designed research sub to investigate that North Atlantic anomaly... only to get blipped across the galaxy to the shipyard where the sub is turned into a spaceship. "Oh woe is me!" they wail. "Oh wait, I have a Bureau Cell Phone. It always gets bars!" Phoning home is easy with Bureau technology... that mixes magic with tech... heyyyy....!

Thoughts?

I'm sensing a new book ... Incursions IV: A Bureau 13 setting LOL

William
"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 01:36:07 AM »

William

That's exactly what I said when John and I discussed it in Messenger.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 01:58:10 AM »

William

That's exactly what I said when John and I discussed it in Messenger.

LOL ... Great minds think alike
"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."