Humanoids: One Big Happy Family?

• 3 replies

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Humanoids: One Big Happy Family?
« on: October 28, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »
There are 5 different Humanoid species listed in the book. But are they different species or all related species?

We know that the Anshani protected Earth from outside interference via the Guardian. But, why?

My pet theory is that the Anshani were trying to create a species that could take their place and unite the Three Galaxies in peace and friendship. Thus all these related species across the galaxy. The Galactics, the Manaki, the Muzz, the Kuro, the Blaxx, the Dymoo, and the Teb, are found on many worlds in many variations. They are all probably creations by the Anshani, and there are probably countless more of them, as well as "naturally" evolved species.

And with each, the Anshani probably took a hands on approach to make sure a viable sentient species evolved. The fact that all Humanoid species are probably cross-fertile is a bonus from their point of view. Don't think so? Look at the illustrations of various Humanoids, they look human. Not vaguely human, or human in a dim light, they look like someone that would live next door. Galactics are the biggest bunch of the Humanoid species, and probably span a good portion of the galaxy. Why?

The Consto were fighting an interstellar war with the Opnor. Both Humanoids. With planets with the population in the Billions. And unless you have a forced breeding program, it takes time to get into the billions. Like tens of thousands of years. (Sure, they could have creche babies, but you still got to raise them and feed them...) The Constopnor Collective is only 1,200 years old, and they have Billions of people, perhaps verging on Hundreds of Billion.

As for interbreeding with other Humanoids, we were still interbreeding with Neanderthals up to about 41,000 years ago, and that's after 200,000 years of divergent evolution. Yeah, you and a Constopnor can have babies.

It also puts another nail in the coffin for their being any FTL:2448 alien species to be about. For stars of roughly the same age as Sol, +/- half a billion years, the Anshani seeded them with their experiments and then put Guardians in place to keep them safe. Any type G stars probably got seeded.

(Note about the Guardians. Richard had them destroy any nosy ships, which flies in the face that the Anshani were Pacifists. My retcon is that the Guardian will stun the crew, grab the ship in a tractor beam and zip it light years away in a random direction. It probably uses the HyperFTL drive to take them 10's of light years away, then returns. Which is how the slavers managed to grab folks. They'd send in a sacrificial ship in first, let it get caught, while the second ship, mere hours behind it, arrives and descends down to the planet for a raid. Sometimes they get over a day to do the raid, others they barely break atmosphere before the Guardian returns.)

Thoughts?

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
Re: Humanoids: One Big Happy Family?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:17:38 AM »
Nothing I disagree with, but I'll leave this to you and William.   :)

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
There are 5 different Humanoid species listed in the book. But are they different species or all related species?

We know that the Anshani protected Earth from outside interference via the Guardian. But, why?

My pet theory is that the Anshani were trying to create a species that could take their place and unite the Three Galaxies in peace and friendship. Thus all these related species across the galaxy. The Galactics, the Manaki, the Muzz, the Kuro, the Blaxx, the Dymoo, and the Teb, are found on many worlds in many variations. They are all probably creations by the Anshani, and there are probably countless more of them, as well as "naturally" evolved species.

And with each, the Anshani probably took a hands on approach to make sure a viable sentient species evolved. The fact that all Humanoid species are probably cross-fertile is a bonus from their point of view. Don't think so? Look at the illustrations of various Humanoids, they look human. Not vaguely human, or human in a dim light, they look like someone that would live next door. Galactics are the biggest bunch of the Humanoid species, and probably span a good portion of the galaxy. Why?

I've always used a "The Anshani seeded the galaxy" approach.  It only makes sense.  Why else could I pop in a cube and find a teb planet 1000 light years from any other teb planet.

The Consto were fighting an interstellar war with the Opnor. Both Humanoids. With planets with the population in the Billions. And unless you have a forced breeding program, it takes time to get into the billions. Like tens of thousands of years. (Sure, they could have creche babies, but you still got to raise them and feed them...) The Constopnor Collective is only 1,200 years old, and they have Billions of people, perhaps verging on Hundreds of Billion.

As for interbreeding with other Humanoids, we were still interbreeding with Neanderthals up to about 41,000 years ago, and that's after 200,000 years of divergent evolution. Yeah, you and a Constopnor can have babies.

I've always made it like an 80% chance of compatibility, due to genetic drift and mutations... but yeah, I agree for the most part with this one.

It also puts another nail in the coffin for their being any FTL:2448 alien species to be about. For stars of roughly the same age as Sol, +/- half a billion years, the Anshani seeded them with their experiments and then put Guardians in place to keep them safe. Any type G stars probably got seeded.

Here I disagree.  I know that Richard didn't want to mix the two (FTL/INC), but I LIKE having tons of options. 

I think instead I'd do it this way.  All G-Stars might have gotten seeded, but if a planet already had a race developing, I doubt that the Anshani would wipe them out and replace them with their seeds.  So I'd put the FTL2448 races there (retcon'd without the connection to earth which would make no sense).  Between FTL2448 and Lost Races, that adds a BUNCH of smaller empires and races.  They might even still have guardians.  After all, protecting life is protecting life.

Just my opinion.  I'm going to do it this way in my campaign regardless, but I think you should consider it making it official.  People always want MORE content, not less.  Why limit it?  Rather, whats the BENEFIT to limiting it?  I don't see one.  I know its how Richard wanted it... but we should be looking to the future, not stuck to one concept.

(Note about the Guardians. Richard had them destroy any nosy ships, which flies in the face that the Anshani were Pacifists. My retcon is that the Guardian will stun the crew, grab the ship in a tractor beam and zip it light years away in a random direction. It probably uses the HyperFTL drive to take them 10's of light years away, then returns. Which is how the slavers managed to grab folks. They'd send in a sacrificial ship in first, let it get caught, while the second ship, mere hours behind it, arrives and descends down to the planet for a raid. Sometimes they get over a day to do the raid, others they barely break atmosphere before the Guardian returns.)

Thoughts?

I like this too, but I think I'd pop them further away... its the same flight time regardless.  But it does open some questions:

1) Do all ships get sent to the same place?  Is there a derelict space graveyard where 100's of ships have been left over time?
2) Since the HFTL time is a constant random... no matter the distance... 10's of light years doesnt seem required unless they Anshani assumed it was a local star faring race and wanted them to be able to limp home.
3) Alternatively, what if the ship was always sent to the Administration center.... So that the Anshani (no longer there, but assumed) would be able to talk to the invading race and 'chastise' them.

William
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:22:18 PM by FuzzySadist »
"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 01:29:44 AM »
If the Ashani were seeding G type stars, that still leaves K and M types.  Cooler, with smaller Goldilocks zones, but singleton planets circling red dwarfs are actually perfect life nurseries once life-precursors are seeded by carbonaceous comets, or arise around geo-thermal vents. So the Ashani calling dibs on all the G stars doesn't mean they swept the field.

P.S.  I was the interim Astrophysics Librarian for Princeton University. It was a long time ago, but I will try to keep up. 

I would like to keep things simple in the base books. Pare down to essential D&D-type core "classes" and races, then use splat books to address more exotic options.  Use the same ruleset for everything and find a way to headcanon a crossover later. 
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law