Getting Back to Earth

• 2 replies

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Getting Back to Earth
« on: October 28, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »
So, I've have had many a "discussion" on this topic with various folks. We all disagree on one thing: Finding a Nav Cube with a destination for the Sol System.

Most folks think that there is one. I totally disagree.

Why? Because the Earth was a restricted Anshani world, a Nursery World. Why would a Space Tugboat, AKA the Ardanna Nuu, have a cube for that world? It wouldn't. But, it would have a cube for a Anshani administrative world, one that watched over many Nursery Worlds. Now, since stars move, the admin world would have a shifting area of responsibility, especially since the Anshani, a species over 8 billion years old, had more than enough patience to deal with the shifting stars as they travelled around the galaxy.

So, the admin world would be about 20-50 LY from the Sol System. That also means that there probably many other Nursery Worlds near Earth as well. There are close to a thousand stars within 50 light years of Sol, enough that it would take a lifetime to find Sol and Earth. Even if you left it to just the type G stars that's 63 different stars to check out to see if they are a match. And using the constellations won't help much. At 50 LY, they would be unrecognizable. 

It would be the height of irony, if cube #1 was the one to get them home. It's the one that's sitting in the Nav controller as they were traveling. Which world? The first one, the Frozen planet with High Tech buildings. It's been a hundred thousand years since the Anshani threw up their hands and ascended/left the universe/whatever. It's amazing that it's still mostly intact. The fact that Dakkel Shumeh didn't tell them is that he's a bit of a schmuck. If they can hunt him down after leaving him somewhere, he might relent and let them know basically what direction Sol is from the Frozen planet.

Thoughts?

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
Re: Getting Back to Earth
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:14:04 AM »
I agree with Earth not being on a standard type Nav cube.  However, are Nursery World Nav cubes a thing? 

Also, Earth astronomers can now check for signs of life (or at least the chemical composition of the atmosphere) with the transit spectroscopy method; so you could check a lot of planets fairly quickly.  Although line-of-sight and waiting for the planet to orbit in front of the star means you probably can't check every one of those 63 stars using transit spectroscopy.

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
Re: Getting Back to Earth
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 11:10:48 PM »
So, I've have had many a "discussion" on this topic with various folks. We all disagree on one thing: Finding a Nav Cube with a destination for the Sol System.

Most folks think that there is one. I totally disagree.

Why? Because the Earth was a restricted Anshani world, a Nursery World. Why would a Space Tugboat, AKA the Ardanna Nuu, have a cube for that world? It wouldn't. But, it would have a cube for a Anshani administrative world, one that watched over many Nursery Worlds. Now, since stars move, the admin world would have a shifting area of responsibility, especially since the Anshani, a species over 8 billion years old, had more than enough patience to deal with the shifting stars as they travelled around the galaxy.

I haven't thought of it this way, but I like it.

So, the admin world would be about 20-50 LY from the Sol System. That also means that there probably many other Nursery Worlds near Earth as well. There are close to a thousand stars within 50 light years of Sol, enough that it would take a lifetime to find Sol and Earth. Even if you left it to just the type G stars that's 63 different stars to check out to see if they are a match. And using the constellations won't help much. At 50 LY, they would be unrecognizable. 

It would be the height of irony, if cube #1 was the one to get them home. It's the one that's sitting in the Nav controller as they were traveling. Which world? The first one, the Frozen planet with High Tech buildings. It's been a hundred thousand years since the Anshani threw up their hands and ascended/left the universe/whatever. It's amazing that it's still mostly intact. The fact that Dakkel Shumeh didn't tell them is that he's a bit of a schmuck. If they can hunt him down after leaving him somewhere, he might relent and let them know basically what direction Sol is from the Frozen planet.

Thoughts?

The only big issue I have is this... right now, as a GM, I have to generate all these destination points for the cubes.  With this new information in mind, I have to generate all the nearby systems for each face of each nav cube.  Its the only way the players could be sure to check everything.

For that matter.... what if it the guardian only protected the planet itself.

So the Nav Cube goes to Europa, to a water refuel station.  And the pirates would just fly across system for slaves.

William
"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."