Nav Cubes And Destinations

• 5 replies

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
Nav Cubes And Destinations
« on: September 05, 2020, 03:13:32 AM »
I'm trying to alter the destination tables slightly, so that I can generate something closer to what the 6 examples in the main book (Incursion I) has.  I figure the end result should be ... you go here, land here, and the place "looks" like this...  And then leave the actual scenario to the GM.  It would allow quick improvisation should the characters just go cube hoping.

So far, I've done this:
d100      Destination Type
01-65      RANDOM (+0 LZ)
66-90      CONSTOPNOR (+10 LZ)
91-00      ANSHANI (+15 LZ)
Obviously, a Random world could still be Anshani, but I figure, there is no obvious signs.

d100      Landing Zone
01-15      NONE
16-50      ONE
51-85      FEW (1d4)
86-00      SEVERAL (1d)
I figure, even without any sign of the Anshani, there might be at the very least a landing pad.

I kind of just made the numbers up... can I get a discussion started?  Are the numbers accurate?  Any suggestions?  Other tables?  etc... etc... :)
"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Re: Nav Cubes And Destinations
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 02:34:14 PM »
Hmm, well since the Constopnor post-date the Anshani Empire by about 49,000 years, so any destination that is one of their worlds would be random as well. And the Constopnor are only an issue in the region of space where the Ardana Nuu ends up in. For all we know, there's a completely different empire/federation/cooperative near Earth.

Because of that, I'd have multiple random types:

Unaffiliated, Constopnor, Independent, Another Empire/Confederation/Federation/Cooperative, Primitive, and the favorite, use the World Gen rules on pages 80 to 89, but with chance for life given a +10 on the What's Alive? table. (And a +50 for Intelligence. The Anshani didn't care about worlds with no sapients or near sapients on them.)

One thing for certain, there's no discernible rhyme or reason for why certain worlds are loaded into any random Nav Cube. The Anshani are not like you and me, so randomly determined is good.

As the chances of finding an Anshani world should be lower than what you have. I'd make it a 99-100 chance of a cube face being Anshani.

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 03:38:09 PM »
Well, as far as the Anshani empire, I guess I meant "Was part of the empire, but now is whatevers left"... Hmmm... Maybe I should include a "Condition of the facilities" table.

Does this table seem more reasonable?

d100AffiliationDescription
1-32PRIMITIVE(1) System
33-60UNAFFILIATED(1) System
61-74INDEPENDENT(2d4) Systems
75-88EXPANSIONIST(1d100+10) Systems
89-93COLLECTIVE((1d4)d100) Systems
94-98CONSTOPNOR(See Text) Systems
99-100ANSHANI(See Text) Systems
"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 11:55:20 PM »
That's a good start, but they need explanations as to what each entry means.

For example "Primitive". What does it mean? Flint and stone tools or pre-starflight or both? Would we right now be considered "primitives" by the starfaring cultures in the Three Galaxies. (And no, we don't know which galaxy Richard was referring to other than the Milky Way and Andromeda.)

Since I came up with two of the terms, I'll offer my definition:

Unaffiliated refers to a brand new spacefaring culture that hasn't gotten out of their system yet, but is in the process of colonizing their own star system. We're talking more Expanse before the Gateway than our current level of orbiting our own planet.

Independent is one or two cultures working on colonizing the nearby stars. They may be looking for planets other people might consider uninhabitable. They have the slowest possible FTL drive, so it's more of a cooperative than an actual empire or confederation. (30 days per light year means stars are at least 4 to 5 months travel time apart. Hard to keep a thumb or a boot on a colony.)

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 01:23:29 AM »
I like those definitions... I'll pop Independent to 1d4+1, since we're assuming at the minimum their home system and at least one other system.

I'm really liking how things are turning out :)  I appreciate the help. :)

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »
I wrote a random generator, and added a bit of language to make it more english readable.

Code: [Select]
Atmosphere Mix Is Breathable, And Is Cold.
Surface Is Made Up Of Several Large Continents With Active Geology And 1 Landing Zone(S).
Life Is Lively With Toxic Bio-Compatability.
Near Intelligent Life Forms, Who Are A Forgotten Colony Located In Sparce Areas.
Their Development Is Absolutely Fallen And They Are Comfortable With Aliens.
They Have Legends Of The Anshani.
They Have Multiple Government, Generally Ruled By High Council.  It Is Has Moderate Laws.
Technology Available:  Food[Agriculture] Metals[High Use Of Iron, Casting] Ceramics[Refined Glass, Exotic Ceramics] Husbandry[Domestication Or Caged Breeding For A Number Of Uses.] Chemistry[Complex Organic Chemistry To Produce Synthetics.] Mechanical[High Use Automation, Very Complex Mechanical Devices.] Medicine[Complex Medical Treatment, Drug Drugs, Surgery And Transplants,] Computers[Bulky Semi Mechanical/Electrical Devices]
The Society Has A Just Rotten Attitude, Crime Is Hellish And The World Economy Is Dead
Problem: Climate Issues Due To Flood
Planet Is Part Of A Unaffiliated Affiliation Of 1 System(S)
A Large (10000 Miles) Planet, 2.00Gs And 3 Moons
With 3 Moons (Small (18 Miles), Medium (476 Miles), Small (18 Miles))
The Planet Orbits 1  Star [{M} Red Super Giant] And Has 1 Additional Star(S) In The System A {M} Red Medium At The The Far Edge Of Extreme Cold Zone.

Atmosphere Mix Is Breathable, And Is Temperate.
Surface Is Made Up Of Small Continents With Active Geology And 1 Landing Zone(S).
Life Is Lively With Fair Bio-Compatability.
A Small (6500 Miles) Planet, 0.80Gs And 3 Moons
With 3 Moons (Medium (419 Miles), Medium (499 Miles), Small (16 Miles))
The Planet Orbits 1 Star  [ {M} Red Dwarf ]

Surface Is Made Up Of One Mass With Geological Hell And 1 Landing Zone(S).
Developed Life Forms, Who Are A Starter Race Located In Urban Areas.
Their Development Is Fallen And They Are Uncomfortable With Aliens.
They Have Knowledge Of The Anshani.
They Have Multiple Government, Generally Ruled By High Council.  It Is Is A Lawful.
Technology Available:  Food[Hunting, Gathering And Agriculture] Metals[Low Carbon Steel] Ceramics[Specialty Glass And Ceramics.] Husbandry[Domestication Of A Small Number Of Species For Work Or Food.] Chemistry[Basic Chemistry] Mechanical[High Use Automation, Very Complex Mechanical Devices.] Medicine[Resuscitation, Complex Organ And Limb Regeneration] Computers[Bulky Semi Mechanical/Electrical Devices]
The Society Has A Very Bad Attitude, Crime Is Hellish And The World Economy Is Near Dead
Problem: Violence Due From Leadership
A Small (6500 Miles) Planet, 0.80Gs And 1 Moon
With 1 Moon (Small (17 Miles))
The Planet Orbits 1 Star  [ {M} Red Small ]

Surface Is Made Up Of Continents And Islands With Passive Geology And 2 Landing Zone(S).
Life Is Lively With Average Bio-Compatability.
Near Intelligent Life Forms, Who Are A Starter Race Located In Urban Areas.
Their Development Is Absolutely Fallen And They Are Uncomfortable With Aliens.
They Have Knowledge Of The Anshani.
They Have Multiple Government, Generally Ruled By Dictatorship.  It Is Is A Lawful.
Technology Available:  Food[Hunting, Gathering And Agriculture] Metals[High Use Of Iron, Casting] Ceramics[None] Husbandry[Breeding For Genetic Diversity Selective Breeding To Improve Traits.] Chemistry[Simple Chemistry] Mechanical[Very Complex And Precision Mechanical Devices.] Medicine[Simple Medical Treatment] Computers[Bulky Semi Mechanical/Electrical Devices]
The Society Has A Very Bad Attitude, Crime Is Barely Functional And The World Economy Is Near Dead
Problem: Technical Issues Due To Lack Of Know How
A Medium (7500 Miles) Planet, 0.80Gs And 5 Moons
With 5 Moons (Medium (415 Miles), Small (20 Miles), Medium (478 Miles), Small (20 Miles), Small (17 Miles))
The Planet Orbits 1  Star [{M} Red Medium] And Has 6 Additional Star(S) In The System A {K} Orange Medium At The The Far Edge Of Extreme Cold Zone.
A {A} White Small At The The Hot Zone
A {M} Red Giant At The The Outside The Planetary System
A {G} Yellow Small At The The Far Edge Of Extreme Cold Zone.
A {A} White Large At The The Outside The Planetary System

Surface Is Made Up Of Continents And Islands With Active Geology And 2 Landing Zone(S).
Life Is Frantic With Fair Bio-Compatability.
Developing Culture Life Forms, Who Are A Forgotten Colony Located In Sparce Areas.
Their Development Is Fallen And They Are Comfortable With Aliens.
They Have Legends Of The Anshani.
They Have Multiple Government, Generally Ruled By High Council.  It Is Has Some Laws.
Technology Available:  Food[Hunting, Gathering And Agriculture] Metals[High Use Of Iron, Casting] Ceramics[None] Husbandry[Domestication Or Caged Breeding For A Number Of Uses.] Chemistry[Complex Organic Chemistry To Produce Synthetics.] Mechanical[Very Complex And Precision Mechanical Devices.] Medicine[Resuscitation, Complex Organ And Limb Regeneration] Computers[Bulky Semi Mechanical/Electrical Devices]
The Society Has A Very Bad Attitude, Crime Is Hellish And The World Economy Is Near Dead
Problem: Other Issues Due To Cultural Bias In 6 Months
Planet Is Part Of A Independent Affiliation Of 5 System(S)
A Large (10000 Miles) Planet, 2.00Gs And 6 Moons
With 6 Moons (Large (1434 Miles), Medium (485 Miles), Small (20 Miles), Medium (444 Miles), Medium (450 Miles), Medium (463 Miles))
Very Close Binary Stars Deformed By Their Mutual Gravitation. At Best D4-1 Planets.

Surface Is Made Up Of Several Large Continents With Active Geology And None Landing Zone(S).
A Large (9000 Miles) Planet, 1.50Gs And 3 Moons
With 3 Moons (Medium (490 Miles), Small (18 Miles), Medium (419 Miles))
The Planet Orbits 1  Star [{F} Yellow-White Dwarf] And Has 1 Additional Star(S) In The System A {G} Yellow Small At The The Outside The Planetary System

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:57:07 AM by FuzzySadist »