Existing Starship costs

• 2 replies

Offline gregarth

• Rookie
Existing Starship costs
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »
I have played FTL since the green book and always "awarded" a basic ship for the players, I am digging back through the 3rd edition books and cannot find a reference to the cost of listed starships. Have i missed the obvious or has anyone sat down and used the ship generator to calculate the listed ships prices?

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Re: Existing Starship costs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »
The Starship builder won't help you, it's just a parts list with no instructions on how things go together. Price-wise, I'd figure that it would be comparable to modern day container ships, maybe as much as twice as much, as you're putting a fusion drive together along with a fission or fusion power plant to run everything. For instance, a 500 TEU (Twenty-foot Equivalent Units) is about $10,000,000 dollars. That roughly a 1,000 cargo container unites in the game. So, the Alaska C, with 1290 cargo units would run between $12,900,000 to $25,800,000, (if you use the higher value) to purchase. That's basically $10k a container carried. The Ob'Che would run at $250,000,000. That's brand new. Used ships sell for about a 1/10th the original cost. So a 30 year old Alaska C would run about $2,580,000. However, you get what you pay for.

A 30 year old ship is probably in need of some expensive TLC and probably needs her fusiondrive replaced ($$) and her reactors replaced ($$$$) and her Standard C phase drives probably need an overhaul at best, ($$$$$) or complete replacement ($$$$$$$$$$). Stress fractures, seals going bad, life-support systems 30 years out of date... What you saved in buying her, you'll end up paying out in getting her spaceworthy once more, especially if she's lost her certification. I would say never buy a ship that's lost her certificate of spaceworthiness. Might as well buy a new ship for what it would cost to recertify an old clunker.

So figure that a brand new ship is rated at $10k per 1,000 cubic foot unit, or better yet, since it's the future, a 30 cubic meter container unit, or TCU. I'd treat passenger cabins as a TCU, and in some cases, they may actually be containers.

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Re: Existing Starship costs
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 11:14:18 PM »
One thing I'd change in this game would be the size of the containers. Much like the width of a railroad track was determined (folk etymology) by two horse butts in front of a Roman Chariot, the modern shipping container, 2.5m x 3m x 6m or 12.25m, will still be the standard. Why? Because you want your containers to be intermodal. You don't want to spend time moving cargo from one container to another different sized container when you move from one mode of transportation to another. And if we go this route, then ships are twice as expensive, $20k per TEU. (Alaska C: $51million, Ob'Che $500 million).

By the way, the 10'x10'x10' container in the game, is smaller in volume than a 20' container (~1,600 cubic feet).