Hardwired Hinterland and Weirdzone in print format

• 10 replies

Offline Enkeli

• Agent
Hardwired Hinterland and Weirdzone in print format
« on: May 09, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »
We are presently working on a new version of Hardwired Hinterland and when it is completed it will be available in print on demand format.

Weirdzone is presently available in a print on demand version.

Future projects with these games in mind are on the todo list. Exploring the upper Hinterland and providing new adventures and clarifying rules in Weirdzone, have been suggested as possible projects.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:31:07 AM by wasahbe »

Offline BillionSix

• Rookie
Re: Hardwired Hinterland and Weirdzone in print format
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »
Is Hinterland going to be a reprint, or will it be a new or revised edition?

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »
Is Hinterland going to be a reprint, or will it be a new or revised edition?

Revised.  Some new art, reordered pages to make things easier to find, tweaking content to make it more consistent, and pruning when Richard's love of crunch took over.

Adding PDF bookmarks and improving indexing.  Adding EZ basics appendix.

----------------------------

Kedamono (who is a technical writer) outlined the reorder and wrote up the EZ add-on, with input from the rest of us.

Enkeli actually did the reorg and revision.

I am now the bottleneck.

I am replacing some of the art and tweaking what broke in the reorder.  Richard created the book in Pagemaker, which I refuse to deal with.  So we had to work directly from the PDFs.  brucesheffer offered to convert the files to Word, but the conversion was an unusable mess since there was no underlying Microsoft coding to roll back to.  Enkeli's is much better, but there are fonting and formatting glitches that were inevitable when we started shuffling content in a file with nonstandard coding and eccentric font choices.

Many years ago I did a stint as a professional editor and graphics designer for Compass Star Communications out of Albuquerque, and managed online documentation on and off at my tech job for 25 years.  My main problems, other than the depressive slowdown I am fighting after so many losses over the last five years, are meticulousness and getting sidetracked by the backend of things.  Like having to drop everything to resurrect these forums and tritacgames.com email accounts after our hosting company did an upgrade that broke SQL permissions.

Better organized, spellchecked, indexed, new art, appendix.  Anybody have any new content they would like to contribute?

UPDATE, per Enkeli:  You could just say you are OCD and a perfectionist so HH is going to take time.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:21:12 PM by wasahbe »
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline ArmySGT

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Have you tried Soda PDF?

I used that some years back to stitch the six separate 1992 edition pdfs into one pdf with just the free trial version.

Note though that some of the pdfs are built in layers (is this from PageMaker?) and that made re-editing and reformatting to big a xhore for my skills. https://www.sodapdf.com/

Broken into modules you buy the ones you need and it is laid out like WORD with similar buttons.

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:57:46 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.

I use two PDFing tools.  One is a full desktop publishing program.

The other, Nitro PDF, is more like Soda.  I chose it years ago by running PageMaker files through what was available at the time and picking the option that munged the output the least.  But I have become annoyed that Nitro's DRM won't let me switch between my laptop and desktop.  So I will check out Soda.

Offline Enkeli

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 03:30:40 AM »
as long as it works with adobe and publishing software, otherwise it creates issues like page maker

Offline ArmySGT

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 01:37:28 AM »
I don't know.

I bought the Fringeworthy Complete CD a few years ago. The rule book was broken up into sections and that really, really, frustrated me.

So I tried about four different PDF editors. Soda is the one that did the job and put the book together. So I made one PDF with all the pages in order, and oriented in the right direction.

Probably up on my Google drive, I suppose. This was shared Podcasters during a show prep back then, when I was able to be active. 

I think the only thing I didn't have success with was making bookmarks.

I was trying to add book marks so I would be able to get to the different tables and explanations easier.

I like crunchy rule sets and I wanted to get to know that one. I remember that I was frustrated by flipping back and forth, front to back. The progression for the actions and tables didn't go page one, page five, page 10. Something more like 17, 42, 35, 75, 15. ..... I didn't get around to just making a screen to make that easier too.

Since I didn't have a face to face game group then, that effort has been sidelined since 2013.

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 02:34:01 AM »
I started working on most of those issues while Richard was alive.  I was managing web sales and started merging files, fixing pagination and glitches and adding bookmarks for the electronic versions of the older products as I got to them.  Part of why we pulled CD sales last year.  It was that or reburn them.

Anyway, I've also always been one of the people who tears down and reorgs gaming documentation for usability.  I feel your pain.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:35:44 AM by wasahbe »

Offline ArmySGT

• Rookie
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »
Ask John, I am sure he has that single PDF for the 92 I stitched together.

The other thing I was doing at the time was merging Rogue 417 with the rule sets for the 92 Fringeworthy. Basically, laying the R417 story overtop the FW92 story to make a complete game.

The layers and organization wouldn't let me with a pdf editor.

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 11:05:04 AM »
Sadly, no I don't.

Offline ArmySGT

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
Look in my Google drive. I didn't take it down as I have never gone over the limit there.