Adventure Seed: The Kilauea volcano lava flows

• 7 replies

Offline ORtrail

• Rookie
Adventure Seed: The Kilauea volcano lava flows
« on: May 28, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
I thought it would be fun to throw out a real world situation (too soon?) and ask from a Bureau 13 perspective, "What is REALLY going on?"

The first and most obvious would be an angry volcano god.  Maybe the reason for them being angry could make for an interesting adventure, but a less obvious scenario would be good.

Here is a link to a Gizmodo story with a nice map and pics, so a GM is halfway there already with adventure writing. 

https://gizmodo.com/lava-from-kilauea-volcano-reaches-well-at-geothermal-po-1826367200 

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
Re: Adventure Seed: The Kilauea volcano lava flows
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:41:13 PM »
Messing with Pele... Ya know what? Just let her vent and she'll calm down.

Offline ORtrail

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:25:23 AM »
Messing with Pele... Ya know what? Just let her vent and she'll calm down.

He'll be here all week folks!  Try the fish. 

I'm going with a more unconventional adventure plot.  The lava flows have been visible at night from space.  What if it seems like patterns are forming over the course of the eruptions?  Letters or better yet, symbols.  No match to any known language of course. 

What is going on?  Aliens, or rather an alien starship.  It crashed roughly 65 million years ago on Earth, after an FTL malfunction caused a collision that sent both the ship and a large asteroid hurtling into the third planet.  The starship was piloted by an A.I. and has been coming out of a hibernation mode to check for signs of advanced civilization or any response to the distress signals it has sent over the eons of time. 

The physical structure of the ship is finally beginning to break down, so it has awoken one last time and can only create distress symbols by controlling the flow of lava on the surface.  It needs a MOAB type of bomb to help free it and then it can make its way back into space. 

For a more amusing adventure, a second alien star ship A.I. has actually arrived to help, but first intergalactic treaties require it to gain permission from any intelligent life on the planet.  It also needs the alien equivalent of a 'waiver' to hold both itself and the original star ship free of any and all damages to the planet (especially that mess with the big reptiles which destroyed so much life diversity that even a first year stellar law student could turn it into a HUGE settlement).  The current lava flows are part of the 'natural cycles' of the planet and no truly intelligent life would have built their shelters so close to these places. 

Add in a family that found the FTL broadcast crystal on the surface (while on vacation from California) that led the trapped star ship to use eruptions as the last means of communication.   With six kids and a housekeeper, the newly married couple needs the extra cash they hope to get from selling the thing online. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:32:41 AM by ORtrail »

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:37:29 AM »
I'm fine with that scenario, but it is Hawaii and it is Kilauea, so Pele is somehow involved. Perhaps the crashed ship is using some sort of connection to Pele and has been the cause of the current eruption. (Pele doesn't need any help in making new island.) And it all could be tied to her child, Hiʻiaka-i-ka-poli-o-Pele. The ship has been impeding her growth somehow.

So, not only does the team need to get that crystal, they need to get that ship out of there so Hiʻiaka-i-ka-poli-o-Pele can grow!

And yes, it will be inevitable that at least one player will spout: "I don't know nuth'n 'bout birth'n babies!"

Offline ORtrail

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:04:39 AM »
Following the 'All gods are just ancient aliens' idea, Pele was a passenger on that star ship.  She technically now has 'squatter rights' to Earth, but any intergalactic legal battle is a gamble.  Maybe she has been keeping the star ship trapped, getting distracted at times and it has gotten a signal out here and there. 

If they contact her through some local Bureau 13 talent, they get a confusing, "Everything is fine, I'm not angry.  Nothing to see here." kind of message. 

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
Fun fact, the Main Island, Hawaii, is only 400,000 years old. When that ship crashed, this was the deep abyssal plain of the Pacific Ocean. So it wasn't until Pele's influence reached here did the island arise and uplifted the ship out of the water and whatever was preventing it from doing anything.

To be honest, I prefer gods to be gods, and Pele is deep in the Earth's crust causing the magma plume that formed the island chain. And based on plate movements, it used to be north of where Easter Island is... put that in your pipe and smoke it. :-)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:58:58 PM by Kedamono »

Offline ORtrail

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
All roads lead to Cthulhu, eh?  Fair enough.    :D

Offline Kedamono

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
All roads lead to Cthulhu, eh?  Fair enough.    :D

Ah, but Cthulhu is an alien god, so it comes full circle...