A Basic Role Playing (BRP) Fringeworthy?

• 6 replies

Offline ORtrail

• Rookie
A Basic Role Playing (BRP) Fringeworthy?
« on: May 18, 2018, 01:19:04 AM »
Over the years, I've waited and hoped that someone would put together a BRP version of Fringeworthy.  It might be time to do something myself. 

The rolling of percentile dice is still well known thanks to the continued success of Call of Cthulhu and Runequest.  What flavor of D100 though?  The last decade has seen a number of percentile-based RPGs released, from quite crunchy to more, uh, basic versions.

To get close to the gritty and deadly original Tri Tac game system, you'd need to go with hit locations, critical hits, and major wound levels.  I'd be okay with that for more of a one-shot adventure, but for an actual campaign I'd like to see the characters have better odds of survival.  Plus, that kind of combat is the most time consuming.  For a D100 game you can have an attack roll, a defense roll, a roll for damage, and even a roll for armor!  I'm probably forgetting some other roll too.  :)

OpenQuest is one of the newer flavors of D100 gaming, and is firmly on the side of quicker and streamlined rules.  I own a cool sci-fi RPG called, River of Heaven that uses a variation of OpenQuest.  I recently started to wonder how hard would it be to convert the RoH game system for use with the Fringeworthy setting.

I've spent the last couple days playing with a PDF editor to convert the basic RoH character sheet.  It has gone really well so far, and I'm encouraged to keep going with this idea.  Once you get your character sheet filled out (and it will be a fully fillable PDF character sheet when I'm done) you don't really need much else to play, as the rules fade into the background.   

Anyway, the plan is to finish up the character sheet, then see what else might be needed. Stats for the Mellor and other alien races, some stats for various animal types, but I can pull those from most any version of a D100 RPG.  The same thing applies to various types of equipment/vehicles. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:23:53 AM by ORtrail »

Offline BigJackBrass

• Charlatan, Humbug and Imitation Humourist.
Re: A Basic Role Playing (BRP) Fringeworthy?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:11:31 AM »
BRP of some flavour is perhaps an obvious choice given how similar some of the Tri Tac System are, but for me it would have to be modular and not reliant on crunch from the outset.

Something often overlooked about the Tri Tac games is the inclusion of simplified systems within the game, which can replace the complicated stuff in some or all cases according to taste. I'd also like to see a rationalisation of the skill choices. In particular, something like the template/bundle of skills approach seen in things like the BRP fantasy game Magic World, which allows for customisation but speeds up character generation.

I still want to run Fringeworthy using Flying Buffalo's Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes, a project I'm calling Mercenaries, Spies & Portal Explorers, but it's a long way off.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’
- Samuel Johnson

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
What about something we can publish?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:18:24 AM »
We got permission from Grey Ghost for a FUDGE conversion and Richard approved of it. 

And I noticed that D6 has an OGL version called OpenD6. 

Or we could codify EZ by boiling down the Tri Tac system. 

I will set aside team only workspace for anyone who wants to work on something we can publish
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:27:36 AM by wasahbe »
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline BigJackBrass

• Charlatan, Humbug and Imitation Humourist.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:21:40 AM »
Fudge would be my top choice (it also makes sense for the EZ style of supplement, since it works so well as a standard scale for conversion to other systems), but I can see that a D100 approach would be less of a jump for existing players.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’
- Samuel Johnson

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 04:34:17 AM »
I just checked and BRP is OGL.  Rock on.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline ORtrail

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
You people take your game conversions seriously!  ;D

I was really thinking in terms of my own gaming table and the occasional RPG event, not so much an official gaming product.  As noted, BRP is OGL, as is OpenQuest, but not the River of Heaven version of it.  If I ever got ambitious enough to try it, I'd want to build more from the ground up for a D100 system.  Most people can grasp the odds when looking at a percentage chance on a their character sheet. 

Speaking of game systems to use for Fringeworthy, I was part of the Kickstarter for Mythic D6, which is due out this August.  A variation on the OpenD6 system, if I remember correctly.  I think the intent for Mythic D6 was as a more universal game system so it should support a variety of settings. Dice pools systems tend to be really easy for newbies to play too. 

What would be the best approach for Tri Tac?  I'm thinking pick one game system and at least people will know what they are getting, or you go with the EZ system and let people pick the game system they want to use.  Trying to support 2-3 game systems at the same time seems like the least desirable approach, IHMO. 

Offline Enkeli

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:50:06 PM »
Tri Tac has been putting everything new in the EZ format so people can use their system of choice.

But there has been some interest in a simplified original system and an EZ version of FW as well as the still unfinished Fw Savage Worlds.

overall I think sticking to the EZ format for modules and supplements keeps things usable by more people.