Game "C"

• 2 replies

Offline jayphailey

• Yes, we have no Bananas!
Game "C"
« on: May 16, 2018, 04:42:33 AM »
I started a play by post FW game in 2013.  It died.   I discovered just how crazy you have to be to really populate a number of nodes. 

It filled many hours of noodling and screwing around. I also "borrowed" like CRAZY from other games and from my past games.

The Game was based on the PC maker idea.  A Terhmelhern who was cut off from back up made a desperate anti-Mellor device.  A PC generator.

The idea behind this is that this device has used the FW system to scour the multiverse for random insane people of action, PCs.  It records their minds at the moment of contact, and this record is stored as a crystal about an inch across.

Take a crystal. Put it into the generator, and it will grow a new body for the mind in the Crystal.  The person wakes up in a fresh new body in a pokiworld.  The Pokiworld has a biological replicator.  With raw materials it could make you almost anything, but this can take a long long time, since it uses the forces of biology.

The section of the Fringepaths I carved out for "Section C" were locked at either end by a very high level key.  This was an attempt at "Firewalling" the Damage from the Mellor war.

I rolled randomly.  The section starts at Node "C 0"  Bullseye.  I sketched out nodes from C -32 to C +34

That's 37 total nodes.  I didn't realize how insane the job I'd set for myself.

I set some ground rules - unless otherwise stated, the high technology leans towards Space Opera. Swoopy space ships, hyperdrives, force fields, blasters and so on are things that, unless otherwise stated will develop over the course of technological innovation.

Psionics is present in this section of various strengths.  Magic is very very low unless a node Specifically says otherwise.  A lot do.

I am posting the notes I have here.  if you find something useful, take it, alter it for your own fun and have at

I also made a wiki for stuff.

http://jays-fw-game.wikia.com/wiki/Jay%27s_Fringeworthy_Game_Wiki

Why game "C"?

it was my third try and my player uses the handle "The Crimson Pirate" online,  so this is Crim's game.

We barely scratched the surface.  All of this material lies fallow and un-used

I taught myself a lot of things.  Although you'd think Sandlot style gaming would be good for FW,  I found this to be less than successful.  I needed to put much more clear paths to the plot and ways for the player to navigate his progress along that plot.
Jay in Spokane
~Meow!~

Offline jayphailey

Re: Game "C"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:50:02 AM »
If you check out the list of nodes,

http://jays-fw-game.wikia.com/wiki/Crim%27s_Game#List_of_Nodes_For_Crim.27s_Game

You'll see notations  (C)  (D)  (K)

The underlying plot was a coupon quest.  There are 5 keys.  Each key opens a Control center.   if all of the control centers are located, opened and activated then Control 1 can give the Characters master control over this end of the Fringepaths. They can open the end cap lock outs and even bestow Fringeworthy status on anyone they want.

But there are also 5 "Dragons"

Each Dragon is a Mellor who has been trapped on his world.  He can't get close to the gates without being attacked. So they each have their own Legion of Terror and power structure, ready to go on the attack if they get a chance.

The idea was that the PCs would hunt the 5 Old Mellor, find the 5 keys, and open the five control Stations to take control of their zone of the Fringepaths...

But, as I said we barely scratched the surface of all this.
Jay in Spokane
~Meow!~

Offline jayphailey

Re: Game "C"
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 05:03:26 AM »
Oh, and another house rule, although I am not sure if I baked this into the game anywhere.

In Jay's telling of Fringeworthy, the Fringeworthy system itself is sentient, if extremely alien in outlook.  Although it has physical controls, it is telepathic, and it can sense the intent and desires of users, and usually leans into that.  The system enjoys and likes Fringeworthy people using it and going places using it.

This is why, in node C +19 if feels painful and sad.  This is a reflection of how the System feels about this. The System is suggesting that PCs gain access to its control system and move it away from the system where the Disaster occurred.

If the Prime plate is moved to point at one of the Alts and contact with the current Prime i cut, this will also undo the Hyperspace Inversion.  That Earth is already gone, but this would save nearby worlds and that whole area of space.
Jay in Spokane
~Meow!~