The Kymnar

• 20 replies

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
The Kymnar
« on: September 17, 2020, 03:42:37 AM »
ORtrail
Is there much more detail about the Kymar that I should be aware of?  Outside of what is found in the species description in the FTL:2448 Book 1?

The Celestar Tyranny seems to be the defining event for much of their modern era.  Dealing with that subjugation will be the motivation behind most of the events of the adventure I'm working on (at least as a setup for a campaign). 

Well, page 38 of the FTL2448 book says that the Kymnar have embraced the Christian religion, believing the messiah came to their planet over 300 years ago.

page 41, shows that the Berian we're at one point enslaved by the Kymnar.

The Kymnar martial arts is called "Kymnarian Geratch", which is an Active Offense style.

One of their assault rifles is the "Fistan Kann" which is often called the "Kymnaran Kolling Thunder"
They also have a Sub Machinegun, called "Ka Kann" or "Little Thunder"
And also a Machinegun called "Hisst'n Kann" or "Screaming Thunder"

They have a planet called "C'Char" which is an Agricultural planet with an open port (with fairly advanced facilities)

Other systems include "Kymnar, C'Raff, F'Stans, M'Rass"

Their primary stardrive is the "Kymnar GCTM Drive"

The ship in use during the Celestar 'Tyranny' was the Kymnar "A" Gar Rass, and still used Vacuum Tube technology in them.

By the year 2448, the Kymnar share the inner cities of humanity with the Bor'Cha, Dabe, Trell, Blox and Skay.

They're susceptible to addiction from Bormalan Extract C.

The Kymnar shock troops often use Shock Knives.

The Kymnar, Bloxians, Dabe and Bor'cha are share similar social problems when it comes to the criminal elements.

Space marines end their training with 10 weeks on Kymnar for advanced combat training

While "Hectors World" is mostly humans of every racial type, there are a large number of Kymnar in the southern regions.

Kymnar are immune to the Snowfrost Plague

... That's most of the information I could find in the FTL2448 books.  Other then mentioning the name, I haven't see them anywhere else so far.

Hope that helps,
William

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
Re: The Kymnar
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 04:33:06 AM »
"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
Nice work, I need to remember to leverage your OCD to my advantage more often!   ;D

Just to be pedantic, it was only a sect of Kymnar and it was 3,000 years since their Messiah.   Even the average human is not counted as a believer in some form of Christianity, so if you randomly grabbed a human from Earth, odds are they are not.  Depends heavily on location of course.  In other words, the effect of Christianity on the Kymnar as a whole is minimal. 

Is that art your work?  You should consider doing some art for the Tri Tac Spotlight issues.  Adding an art section based on or influenced by the various Tri Tac RPGs would be a nice feature. 

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »
Nice work, I need to remember to leverage your OCD to my advantage more often!   ;D

Just to be pedantic, it was only a sect of Kymnar and it was 3,000 years since their Messiah.   Even the average human is not counted as a believer in some form of Christianity, so if you randomly grabbed a human from Earth, odds are they are not.  Depends heavily on location of course.  In other words, the effect of Christianity on the Kymnar as a whole is minimal. 

Ahhh, that makes total sense. To be fair, I was only trying to show of the usefulness of my OCD, and didn't fully read all the text.

On that thought, we should check with the powers that be.  I think it would be cool to write some "ruleless, works with any system" type "Spot on a race" type small books.  Maybe just half a dozen pages, but fleshing out each race.  Might be a fun project. :)

Maybe something like this: The Kymnar

Is that art your work?  You should consider doing some art for the Tri Tac Spotlight issues.  Adding an art section based on or influenced by the various Tri Tac RPGs would be a nice feature.

It is my artwork, but I'm not great at drawing from imagination yet.  The head there is an example from the FTL2448 core book, and the body was a miniature of a kzinti I had found.  Not sure the legality of using someone else's art (the miniature).  But yeah, so far all the pictures I've posted has been my work (with the above caveat) :)  Happy to contribute art if that is acceptable.

William
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:33:07 PM by FuzzySadist »

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
Nice work on the Kymnar PDF.  They had some of the best art with the last edition of FTL:2448. 

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 11:09:47 PM »

Yes.  The only reason haven't begg... offered to spotlight fan art is fear of being C&Ded if something turns out to not be original.  Because what was fair use on a fan site is infringement if we put it out for money. Gotta have the artist's OK.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:20 AM »
On that thought, we should check with the powers that be.  I think it would be cool to write some "ruleless, works with any system" type "Spot on a race" type small books.  Maybe just half a dozen pages, but fleshing out each race.  Might be a fun project. :)

Maybe something like this: The Kymnar

We had actually planned this for Fringeworthy.  Working title was "Who's What on the Fringepaths".  Sally thinks all the races should be be done at once and released as a splatbook. Whereas I wanted to do two or three species / core personages at a time to throw up on DriveThru to keep us on the front page, then collect them and do a "real" book later.  But there is a lot of FW canon and my own OCD has not been up for that level of commitment.

We decided to finish the new engine for Tri Tac that Richard asked me to do ages ago, instead.  In the beginning it was going to be built on FUDGE.  I even got Stephan O'Sullivan to say "ok" to the license.  But TT's fanbase seemed to think FUDGE / Fate freeform mechanics were a bridge too far and were less than enthusiastic. So I went searching for a d100 system after we lost Richard, since that was what they were used to.  We settled on one of the Runequest variants that has an OGL and started work.  Then our Runequest expert was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer... 

I don't "get" d100 mechanics, or roll under. I like small numbers, as does John.  I like bell curves.

I had about 50 pages for FUDGE, a collaboration with Sally as my sounding board.  John has contributed to the conversion. But without our Runequest player, Robin, we are making a game system that none of us is hyped to play.  So we stalled.

So.  Who's What in the Tucholkaverse?

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 12:20:39 AM »
We had actually planned this for Fringeworthy.  Working title was "Who's What on the Fringepaths".  Sally thinks all the races should be be done at once and released as a splatbook. Whereas I wanted to do two or three species / core personages at a time to throw up on DriveThru to keep us on the front page, then collect them and do a "real" book later.  But there is a lot of FW canon and my own OCD has not been up for that level of commitment.

It would be easy enough to do.  The great thing about DriveThruRpg, is you CAN sell a 3-4 page booklet easily enough for $1-$2.  Microtransactions are the wave of the future.  Its hard to convince someone to spend $25+ dollars when their income is limited.  But no one sneezes at a couple of bucks.  And, if you want to collect them together, just sell the whole set as a 'Bundle'.  Personally I'd make them like the 2nd edition Monster Manual.  3 hole punch, and designed to just drop into a 3 ring binder.  Heck, with most of them having a clear pocket in the front, sell the 'cover'.  Easy peesy.  Most companies are producing GM screen 'inserts' since there are so many versions of the changeable GM screen.  Its a good market.

We decided to finish the new engine for Tri Tac that Richard asked me to do ages ago, instead.  In the beginning it was going to be built on FUDGE.  I even got Stephan O'Sullivan to say "ok" to the license.  But TT's fanbase seemed to think FUDGE / Fate freeform mechanics were a bridge too far and were less than enthusiastic. So I went searching for a d100 system after we lost Richard, since that was what they were used to.  We settled on one of the Runequest variants that has an OGL and started work.  Then our Runequest expert was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer... 

I don't "get" d100 mechanics, or roll under. I like small numbers, as does John.  I like bell curves.

I had about 50 pages for FUDGE, a collaboration with Sally as my sounding board.  John has contributed to the conversion. But without our Runequest player, Robin, we are making a game system that none of us is hyped to play.  So we stalled.

So.  Who's What in the Tucholkaverse?

Fudge, is too basic/generic, and to be honest, the d100 market never did great, because its bell curve is too random.

I chose Savage Worlds for my campaign, because its designed to make the PC's feel like Action Heroes in a movie, and so far the reactions after 2 sessions has been amazing.  Its realistic enough for a movie plot, but not hyper realistic.  Also, it has a HUGE player base, so if you want to make money (as most businesses do), you don't want a niche market... you want a market with a built in customer base... preferable as large as possible.

Honestly, Richard had WONDERFUL ideas.  His ideas were some of the most original that I've ever come across.  He was a talented man.  I own every one of the main titles, and have for years.  Tons of my RPGs are in boxes, but Incursion, Fringeworthy, Bureau 13, and FTL2448 have remained on my shelf where I can get to them.

But the TriTac system has always been too complicated, and too disorganized for me to get anyone interested in it.  I like complicated and realistic... but I'd rather have interested players.  I've almost always had to convert to a different system to get my players to get into it.

Personally, I'd sell the ideas, not the rule system.  Because the ideas are fantastic.

William

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 12:44:16 AM »
Since working on the rules seems to correlate with a cancer diagnosis...     :o

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 01:04:45 AM »
Since working on the rules seems to correlate with a cancer diagnosis...     :o

If you want help, I'd be happy to help.  I'm not a huge fan of d100, but as you can probably tell, I like projects, and I'm prolific when I work. LOL

And I don't think I have cancer. *knock on wood*

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:39:03 PM »
Chaosium seems to have done pretty well over the decades, despite being burdened with a D100 system.   :)

I'm sorry to hear about Robin.  Lost my mom to lung cancer back in July, so I hardly needed another reason to lament how much our lives are affected these days by one type of cancer or another.  Gaming has been a nice distraction for me.

It's funny, what we learned early is often what makes the most sense to us when it comes to game systems.  I mean, to me rolling percentage dice was a revelation.  What's my chance of success?  50%?  I understand that.  Needing to roll a 10 or better on 3D6?  Not so clear.  My main complaint about the system these days would be the Skill lists tend to be too bloated.

OpenD6 strikes me as a nice compromise system; it has a long history (and fan base) and fairly easy rules.  I reserve the right to change my mind on that though, as I dig into the specific OpenD6 system in comparison to other takes on it like the new Zorro The Roleplaying Game which adds static defensive numbers among other changes. 

Letting William be the proverbial canary-in-the-coal-mine seems the best course of action at this time, if he's still healthy a month from now....   :o

Forgot I wanted to ask:

Does Tri Tac have the rights to the art used in the core books?  So, like the art for the Kymnar could be used in the adventure I'm writing for FTL:2448? 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:44:12 PM by ORtrail »

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 11:18:54 PM »
Well, if I am not the only one writing, I am fine with OpenQuest or OpenD6 or whatever. But I just don't have the feel for d100 to be the main developer. 

I played and GMed D&D, AD&D, d20, True20 and homebrews based on D&D for the most part.  And Savage Worlds and FUDGE and a couple other games short term, when I was trying to learn systems.  But no d100.  I joined Tri Tac just before Richard started working on the d20 books, and after that he went systemless.

Yes, we own all the art in the early books.  If I can figure out who the artist was, I do try to put them in the acknowledgments.

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 12:08:37 AM »
Awesome news regarding the art.  I've got a lot of stock art (if you thought the Rogue 417 adventure was bad....) I'm planning to use, but some from the core books would be nice too.

Offline FuzzySadist

• To The Pain!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 01:18:38 AM »
OpenQuest:

Code: [Select]
Kymnar
STR 5D6 CON 4D6 DEX 4D6 SIZ 4D6 INT 3D6 POW 3D6 CHA 2D6

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »
Hey, William, do you have a handle on the FTL:2448 timeline as regards the Kymnar? 

How much time has passed since the Celestar Corporation control of Kymnar was broken?  The Berian enslavement by the Kymnar was a century long, ending when the Celestar Corporation took control, but the Kymnar are supposed to have had only a half century of spaceflight before being taken over by Celestar and beginning their own century of harsh rulership. 

So how did all those Berians get to Kymnar for a century of servitude?  Especially since the Berians seem to be a mostly primitive society, so it seems doubtful they were the ones to stumble upon the Kymnar during their own space exploration.