Tri Tac Spotlight is out!

• 20 replies

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
Tri Tac Spotlight is out!
« on: April 16, 2020, 07:08:30 AM »
Check it out at https://tritacgames.com/ and our DriveThruRPG store:  https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/12036/Tri-Tac-Games-LLC?term=tri

The Core Team here at Tri Tac Games decided to go on a schedule and commit to publishing a substantial quarterly company newsletter.

Our first issue focused on Bureau 13.  Contents include an update on the classic Roach Hotel module, plus the modern-day return of the 9640 virus from the 1992 B13 corebook.  Also in the Spotlight are two fully fleshed-out Bureau teams, new tech, and an overview of B13's history and mission. 

Issue two is in progress, and will put the Spotlight on Fringeworthy.  Fan contributions are welcome.

Let us know what you think!
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
Re: Tri Tac Spotlight is out!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 03:43:25 PM »
I picked it up just a few days ago.  For those of us who grew up with printed magazines as the main source of inspiration/information about RPGs I think there is still a desire to have a regular publication that provides a bit of everything.  At least I do, so the newsletter was great to see.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for in regards to Fringeworthy?  A series of more fleshed-out alternate portals for example; you really need a map or two and a situation for the team to get involved in (or ignore and head back through the portal ASAP).  More for the GM to work with if they run a last-second Fringeworthy adventure.

These could be new platforms to explore and with others the team is following up with researchers who are studying the alternate worlds and the team is doing a welfare/wellness check on them. 

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »
I picked it up just a few days ago.  For those of us who grew up with printed magazines as the main source of inspiration/information about RPGs I think there is still a desire to have a regular publication that provides a bit of everything.  At least I do, so the newsletter was great to see.

Thanks.  Those were my thoughts when I proposed it.  If I thought there was enough interest, I would set up a Patreon and give the newsletter to subscribers along with sneak peeks at the art.

So far, for issue 2 I am doing a brief history of FW, and hopefully, a short story.  Last issue I got caught up in graphic design and adding blurbs and flavor text and in the end we decided 46 pages was enough for a first edition. 

Sally and John are both contributing a scenario and location.  John is doing the Windup for the Tech bit.  We have some paper models that we are thinking about adding.  We have one other  offer of a scenario, but I don't know if the guy will actually complete it.

Anything that you have suggested would be well received. 

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 12:24:43 AM »
A scenario and a location seems very doable.  I'll shoot for end-of-April to put things together. 

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:41:16 AM »
Looking forward to it.

Make sure you include a short bio for the contributors page.

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 08:30:01 PM »
One great resource for maps is the website of Dyson Logos.  He has hundreds of maps that are free to use for personal or commercial use -as long as he is credited as the creator.  To quote from his webpage:

These maps are free for personal and/or commercial use they are released under a free, royalty-free, commercial license. This allows them to be used, reused, modified, remixed, mangled and published for personal or commercial use. To make use of this license, your are required to credit the map or cartography to Dyson Logos.

https://dysonlogos.blog/maps/commercial-maps/

Is there an issue with using some of these maps for the newsletter?  Would you prefer an additional email from Dyson giving permission? 

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 08:45:51 PM »
Is there an issue with using some of these maps for the newsletter?  Would you prefer an additional email from Dyson giving permission?

I went to the website.  Seems pretty straightforward as is.

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 02:50:57 PM »
Work is progressing on a couple scenarios.  I even found some photos on pixabay that will work for the ancient Roman Morocco setting.  The other one just needs some cat photos, which don't really exist anywhere online.  ;)

Looking to finish things up this coming weekend. 

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 09:28:14 PM »
Cool.  We've saved a spot for you.

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 01:41:11 AM »
So, I decided that NOW is the perfect time to buy and learn to use one of those RPG map making programs.  I picked up a copy of Other World Mapper today and its been a good first experience creating a map for Roman Mauretania.  Each user has full rights to the maps they create with this software. 

I complained when I got my Zorro The Roleplaying Game PDF earlier this year about the complete lack of maps included in the rulebook.  I mean, you can Google and find an okay map or two, but when your setting is a time and place that most won't be familiar with (Alta California in this case) including a map or two just seems like a good idea. 

Writing an adventure is hardly the same as a rulebook, but I was feeling a I needed a map -and one that looked much better than what I could cobble together with my limited drawing skills.    So, here is my first map, which I know I'll look back on and cringe once I learn how to use the software better, but I'm happy with the result for a first try:

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 08:57:18 AM »
Very nice.

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 07:13:36 PM »
Quick update; the weekend got busier than expected, and the map maker has been a shiny new toy to play around with, but I got the cat photos I wanted from Pixabay and the text is coming together.  I'm using the revised Roach Hotel adventure by John Reiher as a template for how to write up these Fringeworthy alternate portals.

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 07:49:06 PM »
Cool.

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 01:26:14 AM »
I emailed the first of two scenarios; the super cat world.  Feeling good about this 'first draft' version. 

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 02:10:58 PM »
Quick update: I needed a trip to the ER yesterday, to deal with a kidney stone.  I'm still in the process of passing it, so that will push out the second scenario to probably this Saturday, the 9th.  No pun intended.   :)