Tri Tac Revolution

• 8 replies

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
Tri Tac Revolution
« on: June 29, 2019, 07:36:30 AM »
OK, below are the basic Rd100 starting skills.  Anything you would like added/removed/changed?

Agility CON+DEX
Close Combat DEX+STR
Communication CHA+INT
Concentration INT+WIL
Craft DEX+INT
Drive DEX+INT
Knowledge INT*2
Perception INT+WIL
Perform CHA*2
Pilot DEX+INT
Ranged Combat DEX*2
Ride DEX+WIL
Stealth DEX+INT
Survival CON+INT
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline BigJackBrass

• Charlatan, Humbug and Imitation Humourist.
Re: Tri Tac Revolution
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:16:52 AM »
Is Agility a skill covering, say, acrobatics, tumbling, parkour, hurdling, that sort of thing? The only thing that stands out as slightly odd is that in many systems it's the name of an attribute rather than a skill, but if clearly defined I don't expect it would prove confusing.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’
- Samuel Johnson

Online Kedamono

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 09:55:53 AM »
Definitely need a Research trait for Knowledge. Research is finding things out in libraries, on the internet, working in a lab.

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:49:59 AM »
Lots of random thoughts on this:

Agility is immediately confusing to my brain when used as a skill.  How about calling it, Athleticism?

So Close Combat covers unarmed combat and the use of weapons?  It almost feels like there should be an Unarmed Combat skill?   

A bow and arrow falls under Ranged Combat, but what about a thrown knife, or rock, or a baseball?  Should there be a Thrown skill for purely human launched objects? 

I'm not sure what Concentration is supposed to represent.  Is it an Idea Roll?

A Research skill sounds good, though you could fold that into an Academia skill to represent things like Archeology, History, Astronomy, and so on. 

Maybe a Technology skill for practical application of knowledge?   You could know how to build a computer, or fix a combustion engine?  Or does fall under Craft, which reminds me of art skills like Sculpture or Painting. 

I really like the idea of a list of no more than 20 broad skills, so I'm not helping the cause with all my suggestions.... oh, also a Medical skill?

Is Communication more like a Persuade or Fast Talk?  Or the skill of being a Social Media Influencer or maybe a broadcast reporter? 

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
We ended up going in a different direction.  There is some question as to whether the license Revolution d100 was built on was valid.  Not taking the chance, falling back on Tri Tac's own system and building on updates Richard had approved when the cancer years started.

Thanks for commenting.

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »
I saw the post in the other thread, I thought it was about a switch between D100 systems.  A simplified version of the old Tri Tac system, even mostly just a simplified skill list would be easier to use.

Finding free time, and especially time needed to create characters and prep time for adventures/campaigns is one of the reasons many people can be reluctant to learn a new game system. 

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »
It was originally planned to move to a modern d100 system.  We found out there is a squabble going on as to whether the Mongoose sub-licenses we were planning to work with step on Chaosium's copyrights now that the main Mongoose license has expired.  So we backed off.

I will post the replacement for the Skilllists first.  The idea is that you get skills based on what you have done, and the categories are based on that.

So if you have Civilian Weaponry as a Competency you would be competent with any aspect of CW that is customary and common, have a chance at recognizing more unusual facets, and can buy more and better.  This is a compromise that Richard approved when his preferred skillsets playtested as still too fiddly.

The attachment is still in draft.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:18:48 PM by wasahbe »

Offline ORtrail

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »
Broad skills that get more specific as the skill increases?  I'm a fan of that. 

As for the character sheet, if you can get to a basic list of skills, you could include them on the character sheet and save the effort of having to write or type them in.  I still remember sitting down and staring at the long blank list of skills on the 1992 edition character sheet for Fringeworthy.  I figured it would have been a 4 hour process to create some pregen characters for Free RPG Day 2017, so I switched systems (Supers! Revised, which worked but human characters are very similar due to the system being geared to super heroes) and had them done in one hour. 

Offline wasahbe

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 02:41:10 AM »
7 action hero skillsets
7 skill monkey skillsets
7 social / smart / powers skillsets
1 catch-all for hobbies that don't fit anywhere else
1 game specific