Open Gaming License

• 2 replies

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
Open Gaming License
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:40:16 PM »
A friend of mine is getting back into DMing after years of gaffiation.  He is looking for a system that has an integrated magic system, core mechanic that is consistent, scales well, and is not overweighted with exceptions that have to be memorized -- like a billion Feats and ginormous spell lists.

I have a gazillion game PDFs from back when I was doing research for a modern Tri Tac system, so we have been comparing notes.  I added that I had settled on Fate/Fudge back in 2012 (got 50 pages in on the Tri Tac version before my mom got sick and pulled me away from gaming), but hadn't looked at the new stuff for a while, and would be interested if there was anything open source that was more appropriate for Tri Tac. 

I added the criteria that it should be good for more than a pick-up game at a con and shouldn't lock down player options to specific class roles.  Richard and I have both run campaigns that lasted for years and Richard wrote for  non-specialized "everyman" characters.

Any suggestions?  Hardware Hinterland 2nd Edition is almost finished and we'll be deciding on our next project soon.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law

Offline ORtrail

• Rookie
Re: Open Gaming License
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:09:30 AM »
The Mythic D6 system is fairly new, but with roots in the old D6 system.  It is intended for more heroic type characters, but was intended to be a multi-genre RPG.  Consider any super powers as magic instead and you are good to go. 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/243769/MYTHIC-D6-Revised--Expanded?src=newest

My other thought would be some version of a D100 system.  You get competent characters right from the start, but with rare exceptions most won't ever become powerful enough to battle old dragons.  A free starter version of the Basic Role Playing book can be found here:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/82093/Basic-Roleplaying-Quickstart-Edition?src=also_purchased

The BRP book is not really supported with the focus Chaosium has on Call of Cthulhu and Runequest, but there is a ton of material and conversion between similar D100 systems is usually painless.  OpenQuest is a simplified D100 system that is also worth a look. 

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be running a Fringeworthy game next month at a nearby con, using a tweaked version of the River of Heaven RPG (which was built on OpenQuest).  I'll be shocked if the players have any issues understanding the game system and can't focus on enjoying the alternate portal exploration. 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/137589/River-of-Heaven

Offline wasahbe

• Grand Poobah & Herder of Cats and Gribblies
Re: Open Gaming License
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:45:05 AM »
Thanks.  Looking into them!
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. 
--Gehm's corollary to Clark's Third Law