WTF happened to these forums?

New Products and Events. HOW TO JOIN THE FORUMS.
wasahbe

WTF happened to these forums?

Postby wasahbe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:23 am

I moved tritacgames.com to local hosting.  Everything but the forum moved fine.

The forums were 4 years undead -- that's when the the software started erroring out when I tried to apply patches and updates, and throwing an error every night when it tried to call in.  But it still worked.  Then Tri Tac went through the 'move everything to facebook' phase, so I just left it on autopilot.  Because it still worked.  But it wouldn't resurrect on the new servers.

I backed up the forum database and have been trying to repair and convert the records.  But when I try to link them to the front end, it fails and I have to take everything down again and start over.  On the plus side, my rusty php and SQL skills are getting a workout.

At this point, I finally have them up and mostly working, but nothing I do gets rid of the default theme error at the top of the page.  I don't want to risk breaking everything again, so I am checking out converting to phpBB.
BigJackBrass

Re: WTF happened to these forums?

Postby BigJackBrass » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Delighted to see the forums back up, at least. Bit of a shock when I checked in the other day.

One request regarding things like this: Would it be possible for an announcement to be made on the Tri Tac Google Plus community when something major occurs? Not all of us use Facebook, so I've no idea if anything was posted there, but the first I knew was when I clicked for the forum and received an error message.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’
- Samuel Johnson
wasahbe

Postby wasahbe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:44 am

Er.  I just found out the Google + forum existed.  I probably should have let people know over on the Yahoo side, also.  My bad. 
wasahbe

Postby wasahbe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 am

So the forums are up and moved to phpbb. I may tweak out the icons and such later, but for now, we should be stable.

Anyone who has trouble signing in, let me know and I'll fix it.
Enkeli

Postby Enkeli » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:08 am

Why is it filled with a mess of spam?
wasahbe

Postby wasahbe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:06 am

I didn't turn off registration when I set the forums back up, because there were so many complaints last round. I let people register, but do a global delete on everything posted by non-validated users every day or so. While they wait, they shouldn't be able to post where anyone but me can see it.

Evidently, they got around that AND hid the new posts from the admin panel. I just deleted everyone who tried to register since Dances with Ponies and reset posting rights for unvalidated new users to zip. If the spam comes back I'll have to turn off registration altogether again. :argh:

Return to “General Announcements”