Episode 341 space ships

Announcements and discussions for all our Tri Tac Games Podcasts.
zircher

Re: Episode 341 space ships

Postby zircher » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:09 am

kedamono wrote:Well, there are definitely Dolphin pilots. The problem is that the bigger cetaceans require larger and larger walkers. A walker for a common bottlenose dolphin is between 2.25 and 4.25 meters long. The current walker frame consists of a wicking membrane "suit" the dolphin wears, with a "melon cap" and jaw sound transducers for their sonar. They rest on a spindly looking walker frame, that includes either LIDAR-Sonar units, six legs, and two arms. They have a Delphin language translator built into the suit, though a few have learned to audibly speak various languages. The frame is articulated so the user can turn and bend as needed. Neural implants are needed for both walking and using the arms and hands. Cetaceans have to be trained on how to use the arms, as they don't normally have them.

In water, they have an arm frame that they can wear and use.

So now, you want an Orca out and about on a walker... They mass around 10 tonnes for the males, and 4 tonnes for the females. Males are around 9 meters long, females about 7 meters. So you have these massive critters stomping down narrow corridors, the females the size of a midsize SUV. Still, there are probably cetacean crewed ships out there. I doubt the ship would have flooded sections, primarily because when they are in microgravity, they will all drown in the glob of water they are trying to swim in...

And they complain about the taste of alien waters on other worlds. Frenner II's seas have a funny taste and the fish can't be eaten raw. Yuck.

:skull: Sigh, I was imagining this pirate ship with a killer whale as part of the crew using their advanced FTL capability to prey on ships and avoid the long missile-tipped arm of the law. :skull:
kedamono

Postby kedamono » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:01 am

The problem with the Niblock ships was they had a lifespan, typically the lifespan of the Orca's brain. :[

I imagine that you could still have an Orca as the pilot of the pirate vessel, he has a custom made pilot's couch, that when he slips in and hooks up, he becomes the ship and "swims" through space.
kedamono

Postby kedamono » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:02 am

Winchell just posted some more info on Fusion drives: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... usiondrive
zircher

Postby zircher » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Good stuff! Of course, converting into useful numbers for gaming will still require some brain power that I am lacking this morning. :-P
trav13369

Postby trav13369 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:38 pm

John is our hard science expert, as well as our resident FTL 2448 guy. He and I have had discussions on this type of thing before. In starship construction, John definitely prefers more crunch.
kedamono

Postby kedamono » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09 pm

My main gripe is gravity plates. When you have perfectly good torchship capable of 1G acceleration, why do you need gravity plates?

So let's do the numbers. What is 1G?

1G = m/(r/6380)^2, where m is the mass of the Earth in kilograms, and r is the radius of the Earth in kilometers. Mass is rated at 1 Earth mass, and r is 6380 km, so the equation works out to 1. (The Earth masses 5.972 × 10^24 kg just so you know) G= 9.8 m/s^2

So let's propose that a gravity plate is 1 meter square, and consists of 100 10cm x 10cm x 10cm generator cells. So we just need to work out what one cell needs to mass to generate 1G. So let's solve for m in the above equation:

m = g*r^2 / 40,704,400km. Since g=1, it's just m=r^2/40,704,400

m = 0.0001^2/40,704,400 = 0.00000001/40,704,400 = 2.45673686* 10^-16 Earth masses = 1,467,163,252.79 kg per 1000 cubic centimeters. That works out to 1,467,163.25279 kg/cc density. This is denser than degenerate matter (10,000 kg/cc) but less than deutronium, (5.5x10^12 kg/cc). This is per cell.

The amount of energy needed to create the necessary energy density to simulate that mass (E=MC^2) is 1.32044693x10^17 joules. That's a bit shy of the total energy from the Sun that strikes the face of the Earth each second. Per one thousandth cell. And all this assumes 100% efficiency, with no loss anywhere. Even at 1% heat loss, the amount of heat would be 1.3x10^12 joules, about equal to the total fuel energy of 48,765L of Jet A-1 fuel, each second.

Now multiply this by the typical square meterage of your average Free Trader. Turn on the gravity and watch your ship shine as bright as a star for a brief moment...
zircher

Postby zircher » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:50 am

Well, if you're going to 'brute force' the solution, then yes. I'm sure there's some trick that we haven't figured out yet that will run a grav plate off a small high density battery. After all, the actual force is not that big, how much energy/work does a one meter square water wheel (gravity powered, of course) generate?

Given that potential and kinetic energy balance, this might help...
http://www.district196.org/avhs/dept/science/physics/physicsweb04/AVHSPhysics/worknrgnotes.html
kedamono

Postby kedamono » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:15 am

Well, the trick is that you have to curve space-time. And to curve space-time you need mass. I'm already curving space-time with my own personal mass, but it's nothing compared to the Earth's and the curve it creates. And we know, from observation and experimentation, that's how gravity works, curved space-time.

Therefore any "trick" would have to figure how to curve space-time as much as mass does without spending oodles of energy.

Return to “Tri Tac Games Podcasts”