Weirdzone Actual Play: Forgotten Futures

Weird spaces and species in the Fringeworthy universe.
BigJackBrass

Weirdzone Actual Play: Forgotten Futures

Postby BigJackBrass » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:06 pm

One of my gaming groups has been particularly badly hit of late with scheduling issues and technical problems (including one person having no Internet or telephone for well over a month, thanks to the appalling customer service that is the norm from British Telecom) which has made for a lot of cancelled games recently. To counter that I decided to run a second game using a format that could cope with missing players and an irregular schedule: Weirdzone looked to be ideal for that.

The first session was recorded and has now been posted over at RPGMP3.com as a free download, or streaming audio. The first hour is character generation, so that can be skipped if it's not your thing.

For the system I chose Marcus L. Rowland's venerable Forgotten Futures and liberally cribbed the initial setup from The Space Machine by Christopher Priest, so we have a group of Victorians flying through the Weirdzone in the house of an eccentric inventor. Seemed to go smoothly and the players are asking for more, which is always a good sign :)
kedamono

Re: Weirdzone Actual Play: Forgotten Futures

Postby kedamono » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:33 am

Absolutely great start! I see that you didn't start with desert setting or the Grays. Sounds like a great start to the game and I hope you and your players have a great time! Do mind if we link to the site from the Tri Tac Games Podcast site?

I was expecting Sir Reynolds' demonstration device to catch fire at some point in the adventure, but that's for later. I can't wait to see what they do when they get a "hitchhiker" on their Zero Plot! I see that there is a second episode, so that's something I'll listen to tomorrow!
BigJackBrass

Re: Weirdzone Actual Play: Forgotten Futures

Postby BigJackBrass » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:57 pm

kedamono wrote:Absolutely great start!

Very kind of you to say, thank you.

kedamono wrote:I see that you didn't start with desert setting or the Grays.

At this stage I decided not to let on quite how weird the Weirdzone is, so by apparently setting them down in the prehistoric past it touches on things that Victorian characters would know and also helps to reinforce the impression that this is all down to Sir William's invention, which they might expect to be a time machine á la H.G. Wells. Because this is also our filler game for when there are too few players available for the regular one the simple setup gives me a chance to gauge how best to run an adventure with an erratic schedule and unstable cast. I'm planning on adding the Grays later, as well as a possible link to the Rogue 417 game the same group played a while ago (the recording for which is also on RPGMP3.com).

kedamono wrote:Do mind if we link to the site from the Tri Tac Games Podcast site?

Please do, by all means.

kedamono wrote:I can't wait to see what they do when they get a "hitchhiker" on their Zero Plot!

One of our players was offline for over a month, which is what pushed me to start this game when I did. He's now back so I'm looking at a few options for introducing him, hitchhiking being one. So far everyone seems to be enjoying the game and every time I flick through Weirdzone I find new inspiration for ways to torment um, to entertain the group...

Return to “Hinterlands, Weirdzones & Murderhoof”