Crystal Key Use skill

John Reiher's ongoing Conversion of Fringeworthy to Savage Worlds.
Edsel

Crystal Key Use skill

Postby Edsel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:16 pm

I will be running my first Fringeworthy game using Savage Worlds tomorrow night. I have been studying the Savage Fringeworthy play test rules on Google Docs.  For the life of me I cannot find what attribute Crystal Key Use skill is based on. I am assuming it will be either Smarts or Spirit. Which one is it?
kedamono

Re: Crystal Key Use skill

Postby kedamono » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Edsel wrote:I will be running my first Fringeworthy game using Savage Worlds tomorrow night. I have been studying the Savage Fringeworthy play test rules on Google Docs.  For the life of me I cannot find what attribute Crystal Key Use skill is based on. I am assuming it will be either Smarts or Spirit. Which one is it?

Thank you for pointing that out. It's based on Spirit. I just added Crystal Key Use to the Skills section of the rules. I will await your feedback on the rules Enkell!
Kedamono
Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!
Edsel

Postby Edsel » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Good. That is what I had assumed. Since Psionics are based on Smarts it is balancing to base Crystal Use on Spirit (at least that's what I've told my players).

BTW I am not a Mellor.  I haven't been Enkell all day.  ;D
Last edited by Edsel on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kedamono

Postby kedamono » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:24 am

My bad Edsel. I saw the name with an E and let my brain do the driving after that...
Kedamono
Edsel

Postby Edsel » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 am

I ran the Victorian introduction game for my group of 4 new fringeworthy.  One of the players had played Fringeworthy before but that was many years ago in a very short-lived campaign I ran.

As for reaction to the rules:

I noticed near the beginning of the current play test rules (page 34) it states that the Arcane Background Weird Science is allowed.  Later this is contradicted and there is no further reference to that Arcane Background.

One of the players used one of his Advances to buy the power "Locate Crystal Key."  At least one player stated that he though the increase in range for a raise was a bit extreme.  His suggestion was that perhaps each raise should double the range of detection.  For instance 1 raise doubles range to 2 miles, 2 raises doubles that to 4 miles, etc.  Personally this is a non-issue to me as the GM since I will be sure that any crystal is as close or far away as I want it to be.

The Brits are referred to as the Trans-�thereal Exploration Service in some locations and as the Trans-�thereal Survey Service in other locations.

I could also critique the Victorians scenario but that would by necessity be spoiler heavy and I am not sure I should post spoilers here.  One of my players (the team commander) is writing up an after action report for our gaming group.  If you want I could post that here once it is done.  Again it is bound to be spoiler heavy.  Naturally the group did unexpected things but did resolve the situation without violence.
kedamono

Postby kedamono » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Yeah, I'm going to have to hunt down all the T�ES and T�SS references and settle on one or the other. As for the scenario action report by you and your player, feel free to email them to me directly. I'll send you my email address privately.

As for the Weird Science Arcane Background, that's directly from the Savage Worlds book and I didn't want to reinvent the wheel. I'll have to mention that you should refer to the SW book for more information.

Locate Crystal Key is a power suggested by another playtester. We set the Raise distance to be in keeping with the scale for the Locate Portal power's Raise jump. Also, we're keeping to the rules, so only the first Raise counts, the rest are, well, wasted. This also lets us have an Improved Locate Crystal Key power that you'd have buy later on.
Kedamono
Enkeli

Postby Enkeli » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 am

And now to really mess with Kedamono...

I have a question about locate crystal - is that going to be added to all the other versions of Fringeworthy?
Remember, EVERYONE is born right-handed. . . only the best overcome it!
kedamono

Postby kedamono » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:44 am

Enkeli wrote:And now to really mess with Kedamono...

I have a question about locate crystal - is that going to be added to all the other versions of Fringeworthy?

Let me give you a proper corpspeak reply: I'm only the designer of the Savage Worlds' version of Fringeworthy. It is up to Richard Tucholka and the designers of other versions if they deign to add Locate Crystal to their versions.
Kedamono
Enkeli

Postby Enkeli » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Guess I start bugging someone else about it then :P
Remember, EVERYONE is born right-handed. . . only the best overcome it!

Return to “Savage Tri Tac”